This lesson plan gives students the opportunity to learn about the post-Renaissance artist El Greco, while learning to create value with shading.
Since we study Ancient History through Renaissance History in cycle 1 of Classical Conversations, this project works great for the cycle 1 week 18, 30 minute art project.
This 18 page lesson plan includes the following:
- A condensed background on the artist and his paintings
- 10 printable pictures of El Greco’s work including 2 self-portraits
- A carefully crafted sentence about El Greco (ideal for memorization)
- A simple explanation of how to use value (shading) to create the illusion of three-dimensions
- Sample shaded shapes
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- References to additional resources
- Simple art project instructions
- Materials list
- Options for scaling the art project up or down depending on the experience level of your art students
- 3 templates for students to shade
- Encore suggestions- These are ideas tutors and teachers can offer students for how they can repeat the lesson at home with a fun twist. If you have several hours to complete this art project, you may want to try one of these suggestions in class.
This item is also available, at a discount, within the Renaissance Artist Deluxe Package, which includes 6 lesson plans and is ideal for weeks 13-18 of Fine Arts in a cycle 1 Classical Conversations Foundations community.
This product, like everything at Ridge Light Ranch, is backed by our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
This is a PDF file, so you’ll need a PDF Reader to view and print it. Download a free PDF Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.