This lesson plan gives students the opportunity to learn about the Renaissance artist Michelangelo and create a clay bust.
Since we study Ancient – Renaissance History in cycle 1 of Classical Conversations, this project works great for the cycle 1 week 17, 30 minute fine arts final drawing project.
You can learn all about why we should study Michelangelo here.
Be sure to check out our Intro to Clay page too!
This 16 page lesson plan includes the following:
- A condensed background on the artist and his artwork
- 9 printable pictures of Michelangelo’s work
- 1 printable portrait of Michelangelo
- A carefully crafted sentence about Michelangelo (ideal for memorization)
- A simple explanation of how to work with clay (Store-bought or homemade)
- Three simple recipes for homemade clay, including suggestions for when to use which one
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- References to additional resources
- Simple art project instructions
- Materials list
- Options for scaling the art project up or down depending on the experience level of your art students
- Step-by-step pictorial instructions for how to “Create a Clay Bust”
- Bonus: Access to a video demonstration of creating a clay bust!
- Encore suggestions- These are ideas tutors can offer students for how they can repeat the lesson at home with a fun twist. If you have several hours to complete this art project, you may want to try one of these suggestions in class.
This item is also available, at a discount, within the Renaissance Artist Deluxe Package, which includes 6 lesson plans and is ideal for weeks 13-18 of Fine Arts in a cycle 1 Classical Conversations Foundations community.
This product, like everything at Ridge Light Ranch, is backed by our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
This is a PDF file, so you’ll need a PDF Reader to view and print it. Download a free PDF Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.