This lesson plan teaches students how to draw with linear perspective while learning about Greek and Roman architecture. Students will use horizon lines and vanishing points to draw the Greek Parthenon.
Since we study Ancient – Medieval History in cycle 1 of Classical Conversations, this project works great for the cycle 1 week 5, 30 minute fine arts lesson on perspective.
This 19 page lesson plan includes the following:
- An introduction to Greek and Roman architecture
- A carefully crafted sentence about Greek and Roman architecture (ideal for memorization)
- An overview of Space and Form, two of the 7 Elements of Art
- An explanation of how perspective is created within Space using one or more methods of perspective.
- “The 7 Elements of Art” poster
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- References to additional resources
- 1 pages of Greek and Roman architecture samples
- Detailed Art Project instructions
- Materials List
- Step-by-step pictorial instructions for how to draw the Parthenon using casual perspective
- Step-by-step pictorial instructions for how to draw the Parthenon using 1-point perspective
- Step-by-step pictorial instructions for how to draw the Parthenon using 2-point perspective
- Options for scaling the art project up or down depending on the experience level of your art students
- Encore suggestions- These are ideas tutors can offer students for how they can repeat the lesson at home with a fun twist. If you have several hours to complete this art project, you may want to try one of these suggestions in class.
This lesson is available, at a discount, in the “Ancient Art Drawing Package,” which includes 6 lesson plans and is ideal for weeks 1-6 of Fine Arts in a cycle 1 Classical Conversations Foundations community.
This product, like everything at Ridge Light Ranch, is backed by our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
This is a PDF file, so you’ll need a PDF Reader to view and print it. Download a free PDF Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.