This lesson plan gives students the opportunity to use all the drawing skills they have developed while learning about Medieval iIlluminated manuscripts. Students will create their own illuminated manuscript starting from a template or a blank piece of paper.
Since we study Ancient – Medieval History in cycle 1 of Classical Conversations, this project works great for the cycle 1 week 6, 30 minute fine arts final drawing project.
This 20 page lesson plan includes the following:
- An introduction to Medieval Illuminated Manuscripts
- A carefully crafted sentence about Medieval Illuminated Manuscripts (ideal for memorization)
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- References to additional resources
- 11 pages of Illuminated Manuscript samples
- Detailed Art Project instructions
- Materials List
- John 1:1-7, Latin or English Illuminated Manuscript template, text only
- John 1:1-7, Latin or English Illuminated Manuscript template, text and image only
- John 1:1-7, Latin or English Illuminated Manuscript template, text, image, and large initial letter
- Options for scaling the art project up or down depending on the experience level of your art students
- Encore suggestions- These are ideas tutors can offer students for how they can repeat the lesson at home with a fun twist. If you have several hours to complete this art project, you may want to try one of these suggestions in class.
This lesson is available, at a discount, in the “Ancient Art Drawing Package,” which includes 6 lesson plans and is ideal for weeks 1-6 of Fine Arts in a cycle 1 Classical Conversations Foundations community.
This product, like everything at Ridge Light Ranch, is backed by our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
This is a PDF file, so you’ll need a PDF Reader to view and print it. Download a free PDF Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.