This lesson plan is designed to introduce students to Color Theory and the American artist, Andy Warhol. While Color Theory is often considered an advanced art topic, we can briefly discuss its importance in simple terms and allow students to focus on picking colors that will achieve the impact they desire in their art project. Since we’re studying other American artists in Classical Conversations cycle three, this project works great for the cycle 3 week 4 (C3W4) fine arts lesson on abstract art.
This 10 page lesson plan includes the following:
- A condensed background on the artist
- An introduction to Color Theory
- References to additional resources
- 3 printable pictures of my original artwork demonstrating the effects of color
- A carefully crafted sentence about Andy Warhol (ideal for memorization)
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- Materials list
- Detailed Art Project instructions
- Options for scaling the project to different experience levels
- Four image grids with a varying level of detail between them
This lesson is also available at a discount in the “All American Drawing Package” which includes 6 lesson plans and is ideal for weeks 1-6 of Fine Arts in a cycle 3 Classical Conversations Foundations community.
This is a PDF file, so you’ll need a PDF Reader to view and print it. Download a free PDF Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.
For more info and some extra photos, check out the blog post “Using Color like Andy Warhol.”