This lesson plan gives students the opportunity to learn about Giotto, the Father of Renaissance Art, while they draw the back of a man in a cape, noticing how cloth folds and lays.
Since we study Ancient History through Renaissance History in cycle 1 of Classical Conversations, this project works great for the cycle 1 week 13, 30 minute art project.
This 17 page lesson plan includes the following:
- A condensed background on the artist and his paintings
- 8 printable pictures of Giotto’s work
- 1 portrait of the artist
- 1 printable picture of a typical Medieval artwork, for comparison
- A carefully crafted sentence about Giotto (ideal for memorization)
- A simple explanation of how to draw clothing
- Sample Clothing Hem Lines printable
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- References to additional resources
- Simple art project instructions
- Materials list (This project can be done with pencil, marker, colored pencil, or paint.)
- Options for scaling the art project up or down depending on the experience level of your art students
- Step-by-step pictorial instructions for how to “Draw a Cape” and how to “Draw a Flag”
- Encore suggestions- These are ideas tutors and teachers can offer students for how they can repeat the lesson at home with a fun twist. If you have several hours to complete this art project, you may want to try one of these suggestions in class.
This item is also available, at a discount, within the Renaissance Artist Deluxe Package, which includes 6 lesson plans and is ideal for weeks 13-18 of Fine Arts in a cycle 1 Classical Conversations Foundations community.
This product, like everything at Ridge Light Ranch, is backed by our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
This is a PDF file, so you’ll need a PDF Reader to view and print it. Download a free PDF Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.