This lesson plan is designed to teach students about Jim Davis and cartoon art. This lesson works well for the Classical Conversations’ Cycle 3, Week 18 (C3W18) fine arts.
This 5 page lesson plan includes:
- A condensed background on the artist
- A short lesson on cartoons in the art world
- A carefully crafted sentence about Jim Davis (ideal for memorization)
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- Materials list
- Simple art project instructions for creating a cartoon with a dog
- Step by step instructions for how to draw a cartoon dog
- Suggestions for scaling the project to experience levels
Most of my lesson plans include printable images of the artist’s work within the lesson plan. However, since Jim Davis’ art work is still under copyright, I can not include them in this product. You will probably want to find a few Garfield comic strip examples in your local newspaper or a Garfield book.
This lesson is also available at a discount in the “Amazing American Artists Deluxe Package” which includes 6 lesson plans, plus extras, and is ideal for weeks 13-18 of Fine Arts in a cycle 3 Classical Conversations Foundations community.
References to Classical Conversations do not constitute or imply endorsement by the company.
This is a PDF file, so you’ll need a PDF Reader to view and print it. Download a free PDF Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.
For more info and some extra photos, check out the blog post “Creating Cartoons Like Jim Davis” (coming soon!).