Reclaim Your Time with Art Lesson Plans
You Can Easily Teach Art Using the Classical Model of Education
Cycle 1 Art Lesson Plans are Here!
Are you busy?
Planning art lessons that focus on the fundamentals (the grammar) of art takes hours of time and energy. No one wants to spend their evenings and weekends writing lesson plans. We all want to just relax and recharge… maybe read a book, watch our kids play soccer, or chat with friends… But how can you relax with all these art projects hanging over your head?
“What exactly are we going to do for art each week? How can I make this art project work for both 4 year olds and 12 year olds? How can we make sure we’re teaching some real art principles in such a short time block? What supplies should I purchase?”
I get it. Over the years I’ve been a Classical Conversations SR, Director, and Foundations tutor, and plenty of my evenings and weekends have been anything BUT relaxing. However, I’ve started creating all my art lesson plans ahead of time so I can share them with you!
No need to re-invent the wheel…Here you will find my complete art lesson plans for your homeschool community so you can reclaim your time!
Drawing with Ancient Art
- Lines and Shapes in Prehistoric Art: Investigate cave paintings and rock art as we learn about the basics of drawing and the Elements of Art.
- Drawing King Tut’s Mask Using Symmetry: Explore the idea of symmetry while learning about Egyptian art and drawing the sarcophagus of King Tut.
- Drawing Greek Gods Using Upside-Down Drill: Learn more about the “Upside Down” drawing drill and use it to recreate the art from a rare piece of Greek pottery: Dionysus’ Cup.
- Abstract Celtic Art: Examine the intricate patterns of Celtic / Insular art and recreate a simple version of the Celtic Knot.
- Drawing the Parthenon using Linear Perspective. Practice the mathematically-based skill of linear perspective (1 or 2 point) that was formalized in the Renaissance period and use it to draw the famous Greek Parthenon.
- Illuminated Manuscripts: Learn about the Medieval art of creating illuminated manuscripts and create your own by drawing your choice of patterns, figures, plants and animals!
These 6 lesson plans are available individually, or at a discount in the “Ancient Art Drawing Package,” which is ideal for weeks 1-6 of Fine Arts in a cycle 1 Classical Conversations Foundations community. The package includes some helpful extras like a supply list and a shopping list:
Renaissance Artists (Gothic, Renaissance, Mannerist)
- Drawing Clothing with Giotto: Learn about how this Gothic-era artist ushered in the techniques of the Renaissance in his paintings of figures in the Arena Chapel. Then practice drawing and painting clothing like Giotto.
- Ghiberti and the Gate of Paradise: Learn about this child prodigy who created relief sculptures that Michelangelo later called “Gates of Paradise.” Then create your own clay relief using air-dry clay or homemade clay.
- Understanding Foreshortening with Angelico: Learn about this humble artist and his beautiful, realistic depiction of Biblical scenes. Then practice drawing and painting people using the technique of foreshortening.
- Creating Prints like Durer: Learn about Renaissance artist Durer and his amazing stamp-like wood blocks. Create a “stamp” of your own using a simple pencil and foam.
- Sculpting with Michelangelo: Learn about the creator of the Sistine Chapel and the Pieta. Then make your own clay bust using air-dry or homemade clay.
- Creating Value like El Greco: Learn about this imaginative Post-Renaissance artist who resisted the trend to paint accurate portrayals of people and nature, ushering in the brief Mannerist period. Study the strange light sources in his paintings, portrayed through a variety of value (lights and darks) and then practice shading to create value in your own art.
These 6 lesson plans are available individually, or at a discount in the “Renaissance Artists Package” which is ideal for weeks 13-18 of Fine Arts in a cycle 1 Classical Conversations Foundations community. The package includes some helpful extras like a supply list and a shopping list:
Our Renaissance Artists DELUXE Package also includes these great bonuses:
- Cycle 1 Artists and Composers Timeline
- Flashcards with Renaissance Artist Grammar Sentences (A carefully crafted sentence about each artist, ideal for memorization)
- Renaissance Artist Mini-Posters
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions or email me at Julie@ridgelightranch.com.
We have a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, so you risk nothing!
Don’t let all those questions about what you’re doing for art next year hang over your head one more day. Let us help make art easy. We want you to LOVE teaching art so you can give your students all the benefits of art and creativity in their education!