We’re talking about fun art projects you can create as gifts for others.
- Blog post about coasters: How to Make a Custom Coaster in 30 Minutes
- Blog post about Tracing: Tracing Is Amazing! I have A LOT to say about traacing. If you’re specifically looking instructions on how to trace using carbon paper or the graphite transfer method, check out this blog post: Six Simple Art Tracing Methods
- Staz-on ink is great for stamping an image onto a coaster.
- You can buy cork in rolls or in 4″ squares from Amazon or a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I’ve been using 1/8″ thick cork but I don’t think it matters too much how thick it is.
This works just like a coaster, but you use a larger tile!
Wood slice ornaments-
- I’ve been using 3 1/2″ – 4″ diameter pine wood slices to create ornaments with Sharpies and Colored Pencil.
- They’re usually around $3 each at a craft store or less than $1 eaach if you buy in bulk from Amazon. I’ve purchased from several Amazon sellers and I like AGEOMET best so far.
- If you’re wood burning, I suggest upgrading to Birch or Poplar wood. I had a great experience buying from AbbyOaks on Etsy.
- If you’re using colored pencil on the wood, you’ll want to spray it with a fixative to prevent smearing. I like Grumbacher’s spray fixative but other brands will probably work just as well. (This is one item that I think Michaels sells cheaper than Amazon.)
You can also draw on or wood burn other wood items like cutting board, spoons, walking sticks…
Wood Burner: I currently use the Wall Lenk L101KB Woodworker-foots 10-in-1 Tool Kit, which is usually less than $30 (but I’m trying to pick myself out a fancy one!)
Blog post about our favorite art supplies: Art Supplies
If you’re drawing a pet portrait you’ll want to start with a great photo: Drawing a Pet? Start with a Great Photo!
Apps I use to help me draw: Sketchme , Grid#
Iron-ons: Digitize your art, print it onto an iron-on transfer sheet, and iron it onto a t-shirt, tote bag, or other fabric surfaces!
- I like the Avery brand iron-on transfer sheets.
- In the past, I’ve purchased the blank tote bags from Michaels.
- I sell some digitized art you can use for projects like these in my shop
Dyed Fabric: You can also use dyes to create beautiful scarves, t-shirts, etc
Use clay to create a phone stand, spoon rest, Pencil can, treasure chest and more! (Photos coming soon!)
Painted Terracotta pot
Paint a plain terracotta pot and then add a plant for the plant lover!
- Don’t draw your art at the very bottom. This way it can sit in a tray and your art still shows.)