This lesson plan is designed to teach students about Grant Wood, his famous painting American Gothic and the art genre called American Regionalism. This lesson works well for the Classical Conversations’ Cycle 3, Week 6 (C3W6) fine arts final drawing project.
This 11 page lesson plan includes:
- A condensed background on the artist and his famous painting, American Gothic
- A brief explanation of the art genre, American Regionalism
- 4 printable pictures of Grant Wood’s work and a self-portrait of the artist
- A carefully crafted sentence about Grant Wood (ideal for memorization)
- Two humorous recreations of American Gothic by Julie Abels
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- Materials list
- Simple art project instructions
- Suggestions for scaling the project to different ages
- Two line drawings of “American Gothic” with different levels of detail
This lesson is also available at a discount in the “All American Drawing Package” which includes 6 lesson plans and is ideal for weeks 1-6 of Fine Arts in a cycle 3 Classical Conversations Foundations community.
This is a PDF file, so you’ll need a PDF Reader to view and print it. Download a free PDF Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.
For more info and some extra photos, check out the blog post “Making a Statement with Grant Wood’s American Gothic.”