This lesson plan uses tracing to work on the skill of finding a subject’s basic shapes in photographs of American Landmarks. Since we’re studying American history and American geography in cycle 3 of Classical Conversations, this project works great for the cycle 3 week 1 fine arts lesson on basic shapes.
This 9 page lesson plan includes the following:
- An explanation of basic shapes and how we use them as artists
- References to additional resources
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- Examples of Simple Recognizable Sketches (4 birds)
- Examples of Sketches with Colored Basic Shapes (4 birds)
- Detailed Art Project instructions
- Materials List
- Options for scaling the art project up or down depending on the experience level of your art students
- Photographs of 3 American Landmarks to trace: The US Capitol Building, The US Supreme Court Building, and the Golden Gate Bridge
- Simplified line drawings of the US Capitol building for an easier tracing project
This lesson is also available at a discount in the “All American Drawing Package” which includes 6 lesson plans and is ideal for weeks 1-6 of Fine Arts in a cycle 3 Classical Conversations Foundations community.
This is a PDF file, so you’ll need a PDF Reader to view and print it. Download a free PDF Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.
For more info and some extra photos, check out the blog post “Drawing Basic Shapes with American Landmarks” (coming soon!).