This lesson plan explores abstract art while introducing Celtic (Insular) art from the Medieval period. Students consider the nature of abstract art as they discover how to draw a simple Celtic knot using overlap (one of the methods of creating perspective).
Since we study Ancient – Medieval History in cycle 1 of Classical Conversations, this project works great for the cycle 1 week 4, 30 minute fine arts lesson on abstract art.
This 16 page lesson plan includes the following:
- An introduction to Celtic art from the Medieval period (also known as Insular art)
- A carefully crafted sentence about Celtic Medieval art (ideal for memorization)
- An overview of abstract art and the different between representational and non-representational abstract art
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- References to additional resources
- 8 pages of Celtic Medieval art samples
- Detailed Art Project instructions
- Materials List
- Template for drawing a 3 x 3 Celtic knot
- Template for drawing a 4 x 4 Celtic knot
- Step-by-step pictorial instructions for drawing a 3 x 3 Celtic knot
- Step-by-step pictorial instructions for drawing a 4 x 4 Celtic knot
- Options for scaling the art project up or down depending on the experience level of your art students
- Encore suggestions- These are ideas tutors can offer students for how they can repeat the lesson at home with a fun twist. If you have several hours to complete this art project, you may want to try one of these suggestions in class.
This lesson is available, at a discount, in the “Ancient Art Drawing Package,” which includes 6 lesson plans and is ideal for weeks 1-6 of Fine Arts in a cycle 1 Classical Conversations Foundations community.
This product, like everything at Ridge Light Ranch, is backed by our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
This is a PDF file, so you’ll need a PDF Reader to view and print it. Download a free PDF Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.